It’s the Otto Holden Dam’s 70th anniversary this year. Take a look at our online photo exhibit featuring photos from our collection that show the development and building of the dam from 1948-1952.
The Otto Holden Dam, also known as La Cave, was completed in 1952. Over 2.7 million tons of earth and rock were excavated during construction and it was built with 300,000 cubic meters of poured concrete.
As was the practice at the time, 23 houses were built in the nearby town of Mattawa for operating staff, and a 4.8-km highway was built for travel to the site.
It was originally named La Cave GS (and many still refer to it as this). However, the plant was renamed to honour Dr. Otto Holden, an accomplished engineer with Ontario Hydro who was instrumental in the expansion of hydroelectric power in the province.
Read more about the Otto Holden Dam.