In 1928, this group of women took on the responsibility of purchasing this memorial and the cost of having it erected. It honoured the fallen soldiers from Mattawa in WWI. Later, the names of those lost in WWII and Korea were added.
It was originally located in Timmin’s Park, but in 1955 it was moved to its present day location on Mattawan Street, near the bridge and on the river. In 2010, this street was given the honourary name of “Veteran’s Way”.
“To perpetuate the names of our honoured dead and those who carried on in the Great War from the Town of Mattawa and District. Erected by the Women’s Institute”
Robert J. Moore
Eugene St. Denis
Albert G. Gales
Samuel H. Richardson