Women’s Institute of Mattawa

In 1928, this group of women took on the responsibility of purchasing this memorial and the cost of having it erected. It honoured the fallen soldiers from Mattawa in WWI. Later, the names of those lost in WWII and Korea were added.

It was originally located in Timmin’s Park, but in 1955 it was moved to its present day location on Mattawan Street, near the bridge and on the river. In 2010, this street was given the honourary name of “Veteran’s Way”.

Mattawa Cenotaph

“To perpetuate the names of our honoured dead and those who carried on in the Great War from the Town of Mattawa and District. Erected by the Women’s Institute”

1914-1918

1939-1945

David Antoine
Henri Nadon
Francis Sikorski
Robert J. Moore
Joseph Caron
Harry Desormeau
George Leclaire
Irvine Rielly
James Clement
James Paul
Eugene St. Denis
Lawrence Edmonds
Albert Laronde
Samual Decaire
Eric McConnell
James Therrien
Hillard McLeod
Arthur Seguin
William Forbes
Arthur Duquette
Albert G. Gales
Alexander Tennisco
Maxim Donnie
Felix Lacombe
Barnabas Derochie
Henry Soucie
Albert Nadon
Earl Wallis
Clifford Beaudoin
Joseph Desormeau
Leslie McConnell
Samuel H. Richardson
Patrick O’Hara

J. Ribout
G. Meilleur
J. Charron
A. Latour
M. O’Connor
H. Jocko
G. Leclaire
H. Miller
W. Green
H. Dean
R. Lacelle
E. Freve
M.M.T. McIssac
D. Jones
R. Decaire
J. Chapman
E. Blake
O. O’Grady
H. Nichols
R. Lalonde
E. Morin
B. Adams
L. Toivonen
J. Pommerelle
E. Lamirante

KOREA
J.M. Lessard