The town of Deux-Rivières is located 20 minutes east of Mattawa, along Highway 17. It is located in the Township of Head, Clara and Maria in Renfrew County on the Ottawa River. The township also consists of the communities of Bissett Creek, Stonecliffe and Mackey. It got its name from its location at the junction of the Rivière Maganasipi and the Ottawa River.
This region was already populated by Algonquins before the settlers arrived. The first white people to arrive in this area was in the 1830’s. They were mostly lumbermen who came to work for the Booth Lumber Company, but with the arrival of the train along the Ottawa river in the 1870’s, this brought many immigrants which helped to develop this region.
The township was incorporated in 1878.